Zucchini has a reputation for being prolific, especially this time of year, and our gardens are no exception. We’ve been putting it to good use making zucchini bread, zucchini fries, and all manner of sautees and salads, and somehow we still have more zucchini! This recipe for cheesy, crunchy zucchini crisps might just be our favorite use of this ever-present summer squash because it’s kid-friendly from top to bottom. Your little chefs can help with almost every step of the recipe and will absolutely love crunching on these chips with a side of their favorite dip!
To make sure your chips are really crispy, you’ll need to make sure to get all the extra moisture out of your zucchini by wringing it out in a towel. You’ll also need to press them really, really flat to increase the amount of contact your mixture has with the hot pan. You can also add grated cheese, which adds lots of extra crunch and flavor.
We made a yummy yogurt dip to go with our crisps, and included that recipe for you too. It’s full of protein from greek yogurt and lots of yummy herby color and flavor.
Big thanks to our friends at OXO for making this recipe possible!
- Grate the zucchini (with your supervision!)
- Squeeze the water out of the zucchini
- Measure, pour, and mix the ingredients for chips and dip
- Spoon mixture onto baking sheet
- Flatten scoops of zucchini
- 1 medium zucchini (about 2 cups shredded)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp. garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- ¼-½ cup grated cheese (optional)
- Garden Herb Greek Yogurt Dip
- 1 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tb lemon juice (more or less to taste)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt (more or less to taste)
- ½ cup chopped herbs (try any combination of chives, parsley, basil, dill, thyme, cilantro, dill, or whatever is growing in your garden!)
FOR ZUCCHINI CHIPS:
- Preheat your oven to 425º.
- Spread a clean kitchen towel over your cutting board.
- Shred your zucchini onto the towel using the side with the largest holes on your box or folding grater.
- Wrap the towel around shredded zucchini and wring it out over a bowl or the kitchen sink. Keep squeezing until you can’t get any more water out of the zucchini!
- In a mixing bowl, lightly beat an egg. Add the shredded zucchini, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, and cheese (if using). Mix until combined.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, spoon 1 Tb. scoops of zucchini mixture, leaving room between them to flatten.
- With the back of a spatula or turner, press each scoop to flatten into very thin pancakes. The thinner you can go, the crispier your chips will be!
- Bake for 12 minutes or until evenly browned and crispy all over.
- Let them cool for at least ten minutes to crisp up even more.
- Serve with a yummy dip and enjoy!
FOR YOGURT DIP:
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl or container
- Adjust to your preference for acidity, saltiness, and herbiness
- Garnish with an extra sprinkle of herbs and dip away!
Cheesy choices – we used freshly grated parmesan, but this recipe would be equally yummy with any grated or shredded, low-moisture cheese. Try it with cheddar, shredded mozzarella, or your family’s favorite!
Stock your freezer – These chips freeze beautifully before or after baking. If you find yourself with lots of zucchini, make a double (or triple!) batch to have them on hand for later.